09 September 2009

Cover Crops and Chickens

I harvested what little buckwheat we had growing today. Those stupid sparrows! They just don't listen when I yell at them! "BUFFET IS CLOSED!" Sigh...

I am waiting for some inoculant (stuff that you soak seeds in to give them the right signal to sprout) before I plant my biomass peas and cereal rye. With any luck they will both grow right through the winter. Thus keeping weeds from germinating and my soil from erosion during heavy spring rains. I am concerned that the birds will get them, but both these seeds need to be planted deeper in order to start whereas the buckwheat can be surface planted.

The baby chickens are in the garden for the first time and not quite sure what to do with the extra space. Now that the growing season is pretty much over I don't feel bad about letting the girls out into the garden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment