17 March 2011

How I sprout sunflower seeds part 2 (and wheatgrass too)

I think it's appropriate that I discuss green things today. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! 

Here's the growth continued from the previous post.

I should have uncovered them a day before I did, see they are kinda leggy and looking for sunlight. It really doesn't matter much.

This is day: 7
Picture taken on Monday the 14th. I flipped the lid and kept the sprouts in the dark for an additional day or two. Not really necessary, but I'm just experimenting.
















Here they are pretty much ready to eat or harvest, the hulls come off easily with a light tug. To harvest I cut the whole sprout off at root level.

This is day number: 10 Picture taken today Thursday the 17th.




















Here's the breakdown of days: Sunday the 6th washing and soaking them over night, sprouting from Monday the 7th through Wednesday the 9th. (previous post) Then the sprouts are covered and grow out from the 9th-13th. Uncover and let there be light from the 13th to today the 17th.

10 days total. These will continue to grow and green up. I can keep them in the tray for about 1 more week before they either start to mold or the sprouts start growing the second set of 'true' leafs. After that point they get tougher and the nutritional level goes down.

For wheatgrass I follow the steps for soaking, and sprouting but they sprout FAST!!  I soaked them on the 9th and began sprouting on the 10th. This is the wheatgrass in it's tray right after I planted it on the 12th. It keeps on par with the sunflowers while sprouting but once it hits soil it grows like a weed. It should be called wheat weed!
















This picture was taken today Thursday the 17th, only 8 days total.  It can be harvested now, but I wait another 2-3 days until just before the second blade of grass starts to grow from the root, which is it's optimum nutrition.



















Here's some video links to where I got most of my information.

Secrets of Longevity has a 3 part video on growing sunflowers, peas, buckwheat, and wheatgrass for microgreens. Here is part one of his series.

This is SproutPeople's video on growing wheatgrass, there channel has TONS of sprouting info. They do plug their stuff but hey I would too. For sprouting I use sprout peoples "easy sprout" they show it in the video, it's a cool plastic contraption that makes rinsing sprouts easier.

Jacob and I juice the wheatgrass and eat the sunflower greens. I am going to try my hand at pea sprouts next, should be tons of fun. Oh when I am done with a tray, I give it to the chickens, they eat any seeds left and tear the tiny greens apart. This way nothing goes to waste, after I muck out the chicken run it'll all get composted anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all of this information. We happen to have a whole gallon jar of dried peas, perhaps I will have a go at them first. Wish I could watch that video but we seem to have some sort of white screen issue with youtube. I am looking forward to viewing it once I have resolved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. Did you put soil in the sunflower seed container?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disregard my comment, I just re-read your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr.H - I can't wait to try pea sprouts, they seem really easy too! We were having issues with youtube also but it turned out to be Firefox our browser.

    meemsnyc- No worries, I do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say enough about sprouting or the wonderful sprout seeds of SproutPeople. But we haven't tried the tray of sunflower sprouts for salads... hmmmm... great idea! We'll see how that possibility fits into the new house. Meanwhile, we could just sprout them in the spouter you mention. (We have two.)

    ReplyDelete