28 November 2010

Hot Chocolate

My "other mother" Mom-J suggested that I write a post on Hot Cocoa Mix's. She wanted to know if I had any recipe's for making my own mix. Their are a wealth of cocoa mix recipes on the internet and it is so easy to make it would probably make a great homemade gift idea. However I find cocoa mix's way to sweet! So I started making them old fashioned style, which takes about 10 times longer than a mix does. But I find that the best homemade things are worth a little time and effort. So here is my hot cocoa recipe and how I make it. As I said I like mine on the more cocoa less sugar side...
















Measure your milk (what ever kind you like to use), these mugs are 12 oz. and just about 3/4 full. I leave room for cocoa, spirits, and marshmallows. I use the mugs I intend the finished product to go into, rather than any exact measurement. Heat the milk to around 140* if you don't have a thermometer that's fine, the finger test works good too, should be around the "pretty warm but still touchable stage." Next we add the cocoa powder. For a 12 oz. cup I use 1.5 Tablespoons of cocoa powder per cup. So since I am making two cups I used 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. But I add them one at a time, and I use my little sifter to break up any cocoa clumps. It adds an extra dish and an extra step but it's SO worth it. It prevents the cocoa from clumping up in the milk and making a horrid mess!!















I stop and stir in the cocoa after every tablespoon I add the milk, which will also prevent excessive cocoa clumps. Once the milk and cocoa are thoroughly mixed I add the sugar and spirits. In this case I added 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 1.5 teaspoons (ish*) of Kahlua.















Peppermint Schnapps is another fine addition. Or the spirits can be left out entirely, however I would add a teaspoon or so more sugar if you leave it out.
















I always add the marshmallows to the bottom of the cup and pour the cocoa over the top. This melts the mallows and adds some additional sweetness to the slightly bitter hot cocoa.
















Once the all the ingredients are added I raise the temperature of the milk to around 160*-170* which is the standard "latte" temperature at most coffee shops. This way the hot cocoa isn't at a gulping temp and will last longer and melt the mallows. But if it's for kids the 140* temp is usually pretty good.

Pour hot cocoa into mugs, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy.


Hot Cocoa Recipe

2   3/4 full 12 oz. mugs of milk
3 Tbl. Dark Chocolate Powder
1-2 Tbl. Sugar
1.5 tsp. Kahlua or other spirits
handfull of marshmallows per mug

4 comments:

  1. Yes, homemade is pretty much always better when it comes to food and drink. I could use a dose of that hot cocoa right about now as we seem to have recieved the same dumping of snow that you did...brr.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks so good. It would be a nice holiday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two! I love hot cocoa, I am a cocoa junky in the winter time.

    Mr.H- I wondered if you would get hit by this snow too... I would rather have snow since it tends to keep the bee's at a consistent temp and all the plants are well insulated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I had catching up to do here! GREAT Hot Chocolate recipe with process - just what I wanted. Love the extra hint about shifting the cocoa powder to get the lumps out. I was thinking yesterday that I'd like to try with Half'n'Half. (Thinking of someone who was describing a friend who lived into his 90's who used Half n Half for everything! Made me laugh.)

    ReplyDelete